PRESS RELEASE. From Sea Hugger Executive Director, Shell Cleave, who is looking to step down.
Sea Hugger is a nonprofit organization focused on protecting and healing the marine environment from plastic pollution through action and education to drive systemic change that addresses the root cause of the issue. Our mission is to educate the public to reduce plastic dependency, while focusing on protecting the marine environment, ensuring the intrinsic rights of aquatic life, and helping create sustainable communities that are no longer affected by plastic pollution.
Mama Ocean needs your help—will you join our Community?
Executive Director Job Description
Sea Hugger, a non-profit organization focused on protecting and healing the marine environment from plastic pollution through action and education, is looking for a dynamic and visionary person to lead the organization as Executive Director. The ideal applicant for this position is highly focused and mission-driven, with extensive knowledge of issues related to the environment, focusing on educating the public on marine plastic pollution, and pursuing strategies to mitigate its impact. We are looking for someone who is creative and has a visionary spirit, and will work to further Sea Hugger’s long-term goals. The Executive Director currently leads a team of five with the expectation that this will grow in the future.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the board of directors to identify, create, and implement strategic plans to further the organization’s goals;
- Identify, recruit, train, and develop a talented team of employees;
- Monitor operations and ensure employees and business practices comply with regulatory and legal requirements;
- Sustain and develop the organizational culture to promote transparency and collaboration;
- Develop partnerships with stakeholders, funders, donors, and other relevant parties; ● Identify potential risks and opportunities within the organization and its environment to protect business interests;
- Identify potential grants and other funding sources and organize all fundraising efforts; ● Represent Sea Hugger at events in ways that strengthen the brand and communicate its message.
Benefits of Working at Sea Hugger
Sea Hugger has an inclusive and safe culture. The organization does not adhere to a strict hierarchy; everyone’s ideas are heard and valued both at the staff and the board level. Much of your work will be from home and there is flexibility since the successful candidate will also need to work some evenings and weekends. Sea Hugger has fostered a culture of collaboration and transparency and a supportive environment for staff and volunteers. Even though it’s a young and growing organization, it has gained the respect and admiration of our community – Sea Hugger is a place at which you will feel proud to work. Because Sea Hugger is young and still developing, there is room for an Executive Director to be creative and develop new approaches to solving the problem of plastic pollution in our marine environment. We have an incredible staff, volunteers, board members, and strategic partners that make working at Sea Hugger very rewarding.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field
- Five years + experience in a similar position or senior leadership role ● Excellent understanding of non-profit management
- Proven ability to raise funds for social programs and organizations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organization and leadership skills
- Strategic thinking and analytical skills
- Knowledge of and passion for environmental issues
- Resident of the Half Moon Bay region is preferred
Compensation and Benefits
As Sea Hugger is a young organization, the starting salary for the Executive Director position is $50,000 per year, with the ability to grow as the organization grows. The Executive Director is responsible for fundraising and, as fundraising efforts and income increase over time, the compensation will grow to the Bay Area average, currently around $86,000.
Sea Hugger provides individual Health insurance. Staff also receive a 15% discount on all products sold by Sea Hugger.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Shell Cleave via email: email@example.com. The application deadline is October 1, 2022.
About Sea Hugger
Founded in 2018 by its current Executive Director, Sea Hugger is a non-profit organization operating in and around Half Moon Bay. Its mission is to educate the public to reduce plastic dependency, while focusing on protecting the marine environment. To achieve this goal, Sea Hugger operates a variety of programs to reduce litter on the beach and in the ocean including Beach Clean Ups and a water skimmer in Pillar Point Harbor. Sea Hugger also operates a summer camp and afterschool program for young children, produces educational videos for children about the dangers of plastic pollution to the ocean, and promotes the use of sustainable products through its online store.
For more information see: https://www.seahugger.org/about-us