PHOTO-ESSAY. Adam Eisen made a list of things around town that he wanted the new Half Moon Bay City Manager to see. Bob is a big bike rider. I joined the ride, as I’m on the HMB Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee, and because I like to ride bikes!
We started at 3pm from City Hall on Monday Jan. 7th, 2019 for a 2 1/2 hour tour, stopped only by dark. A great way to start the year.
This is where we visited…
- Biking lanes – next to library SHARROWS! allowing for bikes to ride down the center of the road, “calming” traffic near the library and middle school. Bulbouts allow pedestrians a shorter, safer trip across the street. A good model for Main Street. ~ DONE
- Crossing at skate park – good crossing example with pedestrian and bike activated blinking signals. ~ DONE
- Skate Park – Water Fountain, signs, crooked signs showing a lot of wear and tear. ~ DONE
- School zone paths near Hatch Elementary between Myrtle St. and and Central Ave. need to be improved for walking safety, perhaps with decomposed granite. ~ DONE
- Design ideas for a new City Compound at Ted Adcock (City hall in one place (2-stories), police on Main St., EOC and Adam’s ideas for a community center. ~ DONE
- Highway one dangerous crossing for bikes. ~ DONE
- Seymour ditch drainage – City put rocks in this drainage area as a temporary measure, but more needs to be done. ~ DONE
- Old city dump, between Poplar parking lot and Seymour bridge, methane escapes periodically, what to do now? ~ DONE
- Rock Path after Seymour Bridge – possible future for our path. ~ DONE
- Under the Pilarcitos bridge homeless encampment. ~ DONE
- Cracked paved path by Cameron’s (City is negotiating with contractor to fix). ~ DONE
- Poplar Beach go down, noted this impossible grade for a wheelchair. Signage for beach access wheelchair at St. Francis State Beach. ~ DONE
- Horse go down (at the end of Miramontes St.). ~ DONE
- Widening our coastal path for bikes and pedestrians so people don’t go off the trail. ~ DONE
- Carter Park (it was dark by now) and what the future could hold as an amphitheater. ~ DONE
Safeway fencing ~ Talked about it.
Ritz Pathway entrance by golf course ~ Talked about it.
SAM area and Kehoe Drainage ~ Talked about it.
Adam has an idea to create a place on the city website where people can “pull a fix-it ticket” for things that need to be fixed around the City.