The Planning Division improves our community’s quality of life and safeguards coastal resources by ensuring that residences, businesses, and other uses are planned, developed, and operated in accordance with the requirements of the Local Coastal Program, Zoning Ordinance, General Plan, California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), and other applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
Among the many responsibilities of the Planning Division staff is Plan Half Moon Bay, which is the City’s Local Coastal Program and General Plan Update process. Other task areas include:
- Processing entitlement applications
- Local administration of the California Subdivision Map Act, California Environmental Quality Act, and the California Coastal Act
- Conserving and enhancing the City’s environmental resources and scenic beauty
- Preserving Half Moon Bay’s historic resources and small town heritage
- Managing the community’s growth, incorporating community values and standards
- Enforcing the policies and regulations related to land use and development
- Administering the General Plan, and the Local Coastal Program, its Land Use Plan, Specific Plans, Zoning Code, and its Subdivision and Sign Ordinances, and provisions of Measure ‘D’ – the voter-adopted residential growth control ordinance
- Maintaining studies and reports on such topics as demographics, environmental review, and development entitlement activities
The Planning Commission consists of citizen volunteers appointed by the City Council to make decisions or advise the Council on land use and property development issues. The Commission assures that new development is consistent with our Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, long-range General Plan and Local Coastal Plan, State laws and other public policies that advance the interests of our community.
Rick Hernandez, Chair
Brian Holt, Vice Chair
Planning Commission meetings are held at 7 pm every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month, at the Emergency Operations Center (EOC), 537 Kelly Avenue.
To communicate with members of the Planning Commission, please use the staff contact information to the right.