CONVERSION FROM AN AT-LARGE ELECTORAL SYSTEM FOR ELECTION OF MEMBERS OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS TO ONE BASED ON FIVE (5) ZONES PURSUANT TO THE CALIFORNIA VOTING RIGHTS ACT
Tuesday, January 14, 2020 – 6:00 p.m.
[ Download Agenda (1.2MB) ]
On November 25, 2019, the COASTSIDE COUNTY WATER DISTRICT resolved by action of its Board of Directors to change its electoral system for members of the Board of Directors from an at-large system – one in which District voters elect all Directors – to a system based on five (5) zones, where District voters elect a Board member from their zone. The District now seeks public input as to the composition of the District and how to best draw these new zones.
On December 10, 2019, Coastside County Water District held its first public hearing regarding the California Voting Rights Act, the process of conversion from an at-large to zone or district-based system, and to receive input on the five zones that will be created.
On December 17, 2019 Coastside County Water District held its second public hearing to discuss the California Voting Rights Act, the process of conversion, and to receive public input on the District with regard to geography, population, and communities of interest to assist the District in drawing five (5) zones that are in compliance with the Federal and California Voting Rights Acts.
- This is the third public hearing to discuss the California Voting Rights Act, and to present these draft maps of five (5) electoral zones for election of members of the Board of Directors; public input on draft maps and order of elections.
- Review remaining dates and steps in the process leading to the adoption of the Ordinance transitioning to zone-based elections, currently planned for February 11, 2020.
A. Public Hearings to Solicit Public Input:
- January 28, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.: Presentation of one or more draft maps of five (5) electoral zones for election of members of the Board of Directors; Public Input on maps and order of elections.
- February 11, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.: Presentation of one or more draft maps of five (5) electoral zones for election of members of the Board of Directors; Public Input on maps and order of elections.
- Board of Directors meeting of February 11, 2020 at 7:00 p.m.: After receiving additional public input, the Board by ordinance will choose one of the draft electoral maps and will decide which three (3) of the five (5) new zones will elect a Board member in 2020, and which two (2) of the five (5) new zones will elect a Board member in 2022.
Accessible Public Meetings – The Coastside County Water District (CCWD) does not discriminate against persons with disabilities. Upon request, the agenda and agenda packet materials can be provided in a format to accommodate special needs. If you require a copy of the agenda or related materials in an alternative format to accommodate a disability, or if you wish to attend this public meeting and will require special assistance or other special equipment, please call the District at (650) 726-4405 in advance and we will make every reasonable attempt to provide such an accommodation.
COASTSIDE COUNTY WATER DISTRICT
766 MAIN STREET
HALF MOON BAY, CA 94019
COASTSIDE COUNTY WATER DISTRICT
766 MAIN STREET
HALF MOON BAY, CA 94019
REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Tuesday, January 14, 2020 – 7:00 p.m.
The Coastside County Water District (CCWD) does not discriminate against persons with disabilities. Upon request, the agenda and agenda packet materials can be provided in a format to accommodate special needs. If you require a copy of the agenda or related materials in an alternative format to accommodate a disability, or if you wish to attend this public meeting and will require special assistance or other special equipment, please call the District at (650) 726-4405 in advance and we will make every reasonable attempt to provide such an accommodation.
All public records relating to an open session item on this agenda, which are not exempt from disclosure pursuant to the California Public Records Act, that are distributed to a majority of the legislative body will be available for public inspection at the CCWD District Office, located at 766 Main Street, Half Moon Bay, CA at the same time that the public records are distributed or made available to the legislative body.
This agenda and accompanying materials can be viewed on Coastside County Water District’s website located at: www.coastsidewater.org.
The Board of the Coastside County Water District reserves the right to take action on any item included on this agenda.
1) ROLL CALL
2) PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
3) PUBLIC COMMENT
At this time members of the public may address the Board of Directors on issues not listed on the agenda which are within the purview of the Coastside County Water District. Comments on matters that are listed on the agenda may be made at the time the Board is considering each item. Each speaker is allowed a maximum of three (3) minutes and must complete and submit a speaker slip. The President of the Board will recognize each speaker, at which time the speaker should proceed to the podium, give their name and address and provide their comments to the Board.
4) CONSENT CALENDAR
The following matters before the Board of Directors are recommended for action as stated by the General Manager. All matters listed hereunder constitute a Consent Calendar, are considered as routine by the Board of Directors, and will be acted upon by a single vote of the Board. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless a member of the Board so requests, in which event the matter shall be removed from the Consent Calendar and considered as a separate item.
- Approval of disbursements for the month ending December 31, 2019:
Claims: $988,290.99; Payroll: $172,801.26 for a total of $1,161,092.25 (attachment)
• December 2019 Monthly Financial Claims reviewed and approved by President Mickelsen
- Acceptance of Financial Reports (attachment)
- Approval of Minutes of December 10, 2019 Public Hearing (attachment)
- Approval of Minutes of December 10, 2019 Regular Board of Directors Meeting (attachment)
- Approval of Minutes of December 17, 2019 Public Hearing (attachment)
- Monthly Water Service Connection Transfer Report (attachment)
- Installed Water Connection Capacity and Water Meters Report (attachment)
- Total CCWD Production Report (attachment)
- CCWD Monthly Sales by Category Report – December 2019 (attachment)
- Monthly Planned Plant or Tank Discharge and New Water Line Flushing Report (attachment)
- Monthly Rainfall Reports (attachment)
- S.F.P.U.C. Hydrological Report for the month of November 2019 (attachment)
- S.F.P.U.C. Hydrological Report for the month of December 2019 (attachment)
- Notice of Completion – Bell Moon Pipeline Replacement Project (attachment)
- Request for Board to Provide Authorization to Write Off Bad Debts for Fiscal Year Ending 2018-2019 (attachment)
5) MEETINGS ATTENDED / DIRECTOR COMMENTS
6) GENERAL BUSINESS
- Coastside County Water District Basic Financial Statements and Independent Auditor’s Report for the Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 2019 (attachment)
- Quarterly Financial Review (attachment)
- Budget Process Timeline – Operations and Maintenance Budgets for FY 2020-2021 and FY 2021-2022 and Capital Improvement Program for Fiscal years 2020/2021 to 2029/2030 – Information Only (attachment)
- Review of Coastside County Water District Board Committees and composition of committees (attachment)
- Appointment of CCWD Board Member Representative Alternate(s) to participate in San Mateo Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCo) election of officers (attachment)
7) MONTHLY INFORMATIONAL REPORTS
8) DIRECTOR AGENDA ITEMS – REQUESTS FOR FUTURE BOARD MEETINGS
9) CLOSED SESSION
- Pursuant to California Government Code Section 54956.9(d)(2)
Conference with Legal Counsel – Anticipated Litigation
Significant Exposure to Litigation
One Potential Case
10) RECONVENE TO OPEN SESSION
- Public report of Closed Session Action
CALL AHEAD. Board meetings can be rescheduled. Get on their email list to be notified of meeting changes. please sign up here.
Regular meetings of the CCWD Board of Directors are held once each month on the second Tuesday. Regular meetings commence at 7:00 p.m. and are held in the District Office located at 766 Main Street, Half Moon Bay.
The date, time and place of a regular meeting may be changed by the Board of Directors in specific cases by a motion duly passed at a meeting duly called and held. Public notice shall be posted of any such change in the date, time or place of a regular meeting.
Posting Locations for the Agendas of the Regular / Special Board Meetings:
- CCWD Office (Front Door)
- City of Half Moon Bay Bulletin Board
- Half Moon Bay Library
- CCWD Website
If you would like to receive the monthly CCWD Board Meeting Agendas by e-mail, please sign up here.
Board of Directors
Bob Feldman, President – member since April 2016 – Term ends November 2018
Ken Coverdell, Vice President – member since May 1992 – Term ends November 2020
Arnie Glassberg, Director – member since November 2013 – Term ends November 2020
Chris Mickelsen, Director – member since November 2001 – Term ends November 2018
Glenn Reynolds, Director – member since November 2011 – Term ends November 2020
ARTICLE / LINKS. Coastside County Water District launches WaterSmart customer web portal.
Save money on your water bill. Set up leak alerts that might cause water damage. View usage history, get money saving recommendations from your phone. All you need is your account ID and your zip code.
Step One: Register (your water account number is your registration code)
Step Two: Personalize your information
Step Three: Learn about your daily, monthly, seasonal and annual water usage
Do you have a question about WaterSmart or do you need assistance with registering?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
Coastside County Water District
766 Main Street
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
Tel. 650-726-4405 | Fax 650-726-5245