In December 2020, the County of San Mateo acquired the Coastside Inn hotel in Half Moon Bay in order to create a new shelter program to assist people experiencing homelessness. There were no homeless shelters on the San Mateo County coastside, and after many years of exploration and attempts from various stakeholders to address this service gap, a unique opportunity was presented where the County received time-limited federal funding and was able to identify a building for sale that was appropriate to develop a non-congregate homeless shelter. These circumstances aligned efforts to bring site-based services to the coast that would also make progress towards the County’s goal of reaching a functional zero level of homelessness. The City of Half Moon Bay is supportive of these efforts and desires to work collaboratively with the County and our community on addressing homelessness on the coast.
To ensure the success of the program and in response to public input, a Community Advisory Committee will be established to provide guidance and feedback to ensure that the City of Half Moon Bay, the County of San Mateo, and the program operator have community liaisons who would share valuable feedback and insight on the perception of the shelter and its relationship to the surrounding community, which may otherwise not be made known.
Proposed activities for this advisory committee include:
- Providing feedback into the selection of the shelter program operator
- Serving as the liaison in the community to bring concerns to the attention to the City of Half Moon Bay, the County of San Mateo, and the program operator
- Serving as communication liaisons with community stakeholders, to ensure timely, accurate communications on the program, activities, and relevant operating protocols are shared to avoid any misunderstandings from members of the public.
- Developing performance measures and other metrics to ensure the success of the program
- Identifying opportunities for community involvement
- Participate in collaborative problem solving on community-related issues and impacts
Click Here to view the guiding document that provides an overview of the Community Advisory Committee.
City Council of Half Moon Bay Meets ~ 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 7:00pm
The New Now ~ Virtual Remote Public Agency Meetings
- streamed live on Comcast Channel 27 and Pacific Coast TV website
- the City’s website online (via Granicus)
- and on Facebook Live
- Recorded by Pacific Coast TV (PCTV)
Members or the public are welcome to submit comments (in accordance with the three-minute per speaker limit) via email
Leave messages with the Clerk’s Department at 650-726-8250
Debbie RuddockVice MayorPhone: 650-726
Joaquin JimenezCouncil MemberPhone: 650-726-8250 (leave message with Clerk’s office)
The City Council of Half Moon Bay
- CSFA Grant Selection
- Emergency Preparedness
- Human Resources
- Legislative Affairs