CBuzz Media has created a new media model that empowers grassroot social media producers to eradicate misinformation, disinformation and fake news. This better informs, engages and connects communities.
CBuzz Media needs to go national. The goal is to give citizens a trusted space to be able to Click, Learn, Think, Act, Vote and become civically accountable in their locality.
Watch the 9-Minute Pitch-Deck Video.
CBuzz Media Pitch Website Links
Links mentioned in the video are referenced here:
- Press release/Articles/Photo-Essays like the SFPUC mountain views post
- Podcasts like Bedtime Stories, plus interviews, like Candidate interviews
- Public Agency Videos like the 4.5 hour MSWD rate increase meeting with 50 Zooming
- Weekly Buzz Mail
Table of Contents for this Presentation
- Text from the 9-Minute Pitch-Deck Video
- CBuzz Media: Going National with Stanford
- The 4-year Push to the 2024 Election
- Stanford/CBuzz Media Going National ~ Best Partnerships
- CBuzz Media Tactical Roll-out
- How Might the Stanford/CBuzz Media Partnership Work?
Text for the 9-Min. Pitch-Deck Video
I have developed a new media model that will eradicate, misinformation, disinformation and fake news. And I’m using social media to do it.
I want to partner with Stanford University to go national. The goal is to give people a trusted space to be able to Click, Learn, Think, Act, Vote and become civically accountable in their locality.
I will talk concept, money, partnership and exit.
This new media model uses original source information as its content. It is a power hidden in plain sight. Original source information includes public agency videos, agendas, press releases, etc.
In 1977, the FCC mandated that the brand new cable companies provide a public access channel for every US jurisdiction. Today, every jurisdiction and every public agency records their meetings; Public agencies such as the City council, sewer and water authorities, harbor and school districts, for example.
This goldmine of free content allows people to “watch” the meetings from the comfort of their armchair, or while they are gardening, and when it is convenient. They can respond to staff or council by email, remotely.
Coastside Buzz (CBuzz) was started 5 years ago and now with Covid, public agency Zoom remote attendance has gone up 10,000% on the Coastside, and growing.
Local public agencies are already paying for the videos to be recorded and posted on YouTube, but without SEO and social media, they just sit there, unwatched. The City was paying $118/per view; not many views. Recently, 50 people showed up, live, to a water rate increase meeting and many more watched and shared the post of the recorded video, all remotely.
Using original source information as content creates an environment of trust. Public agency videos do not lie. Public agency work product does not lie. First person candidate podcasts do not lie.
A website post would include the video of the meeting cued to a topic on the agenda (rather than sifting through hours of video to find it). It would also include the agenda, graphics, links, snappy titling with a Social Media friendly thumbnail photo/graphic. This is then shared and boosted. Public agencies pay CBuzz for the distribution and promotion.
The CBuzz Media model has not pissed anyone off in more than 5 years, in a small town, no less.
CBuzz “Gives everyone a voice, in their own words”. No bias, no editor, no media mogul.
The goal is to give citizens a tool that they can trust so that they can Click, Learn, Think, Act, Vote and become civically accountable in their town.
Do you know who to contact when your favorite hike and bike mountain top is closed?
Do you know why water and sewer rates are skyrocketing in your town?
Would full-chain cannabis be a good thing where you live?
Imagine a CBuzz in every U.S. town where you can Click, Learn, Think, Act, Vote, based on information you can trust to be reliable.
Deputy Buzz Officer Income. There are 20,000 towns in the US; 16,000 with populations under 10,000 citizens. Imagine a Deputy Buzz Officer (DBO) in each of those towns watching all of the public agency meetings and sharing that information?
The CBuzz Media Model has an estimated full revenue buildout for DBOs of $150,000/year which includes income from public agencies, sponsorships, and the business directory. That is 3 times what small town newspaper journalists get paid.
The CBuzz Franchise. DBO franchise fees of $50,000 with an ROI in one year. $50k times 20,000 DBOs … equals a 1 billion dollar capitalization, and that is just for small towns. For larger cities the franchise fee would be more. And then there is international franchise income.
Each franchisee would become a Deputy Buzz Officer (DBO). They would get a turnkey website environment for content, a free self-submit calendar and a business directory. They would have 24/7/365 access to The CBuzz Hive that will include:
- Aggregating nationwide content and advertising feeds
- A Technical Support Center
- And the Center of CBuzz Philosophy, to manage bias.
Deputy Buzz Officers will, in turn, buy social media ads to boost their content. Take Facebook as an example. Starting with a conservative $200/month budget for 20,000 DBO’s results in Facebook income of $48 million per year, in the U.S., alone. Social media will want to partner with CBuzz Media. Facebook Security is interested in what CBuzz Media can do for harm reduction. And this media model can help with the FCC 230 open internet question.
As DBOs build content, they also build metrics and income and, so, they will spend more on ads to build more metrics creating a circular economic system between CBuzz Media and social media companies.
And DBOs can aggregate local content, nationally, as is relevant.
Local and national advertising can also be shared through the CBuzz Media national aggregating feed. Note: Buzz Feed made $50 million in 2018 with advertising.
As DBO’s share content, social media will get tons of unfiltered, original source content posts nationwide.
That is the antidote to misinformation, disinformation and fake news.
Content is the oxygen of the internet. Truth content doesn’t currently exist. Valuation: priceless.
Social Media Partnerships.
CBuzz Media has already benefited from its partnerships with social media like Facebook and Instagram for the last 3 years. I screenshot metrics of each post/boost when invoicing the public agencies and sponsors. For many unfamiliar with social media it is an eye-opener. Metrics define valuation for public agencies and advertising.
As the newspaper, radio and cable TV generation passes on, the internet will be The place for information.
Mechanics to Build The CBuzz Media Hive.
- Build a master CBuzz website template for each DBO to fill in. The template will include:
○ Content space for public agency videos, history lectures, outdoor photo-essays, Bedtime Stories, podcasts and videos.
○ Calendar: Hyper-local community events, all the live music, public agency meetings, art, history, local fun, free and self-submit.
○ Business Directory: Local businesses get internet presence for a one time $250 fee. Builds content, SEO, audience and good will.
- Build a training portal to assist DBOs technically and philosophically.
- Build a Content and Advertising aggregator
- Build App
- DBO Training
- Develop CBuzz Media Development and Support Teams
Partnering with Stanford and social media brands will fast-track what took CBuzz 5 years to do, into 1-2 years.
The CBuzz Media Model gets us into the ballpark of personal accountability for local civics. The application of this idea, in the first two years, will be critical. CBuzz Media must create a culture which is rabid for raw, original source information, aiming for zero bias.
I was once asked how to vote in a Sheriff election; the title of the post was:
“Does It Matter to You In a Seemingly Well Run County that Sheriff B. was in a Sex Raid, in Las Vegas, in 2007?”
I replied, “Watch the video in order to Click, Learn, Think, Act, Vote.”
You can do that when you have a trusted information source. And it did matter; Sheriff M. got 40% of the vote.
Within 2 years the CBuzz Media Model can lock down the technology and philosophy and, then, it will be up to the next generation to fan the flames of truth, snuffing out fake news one DBO at a time.
CBuzz Media: Going National With Stanford University
The What. A New Media Model; Not News.
- Click, Learn, Think, Act, Vote, Repeat
- Eradicate misinformation, disinformation and fake news, reducing real world harm
- Re-engage, invigorate and restore personal civic accountability
- Disruption by promoting original source content
- FCC Section 230 solution maintaining reduced media liability, free speech and more individual responsibility and accountability before sharing
- Aggregate original source content from 20,000 nationwide media outlets, in small towns, each lead by a Deputy Buzz Officer (DBO)
- DBOs post only locally verified information, thereby “hyper-informing” the community and minimizing the truth gap
- This original source video content has been mandated by the FCC, and free to the public, since 1977
- DBOs contract with public agencies to distribute this free, original source video content
- DBOs create local harm reduction, which aggregates to national harm reduction (eg masks)
- Each CBuzz Media outlet is a franchise valued at $50k (base) with a capitalization of $1 billion nationwide
- DBO franchisees pay for social media ads to boost their metrics
First Mover Advantage.
In 6 years, and plenty of MBFM (My Big Fat Mouth), no one has rallied to any competition. I believe the product is so good, so pure, such an intellectual and emotional relief that people simply enjoy the idea and the information. There are a few local trolls, and even they leave me alone.
Click, Learn, Think, Act, Vote is the dream of the American way and has been lost due to global media. The grassroots will take back fact from fiction.
Giving everyone a voice, in their own words, allows for citizen reporting and free content (must be fact checked and moderated). It also brings the community together. (see The Gutenberg Moment).
Journalists are information partners, not competitors.
There are 20,000 towns in the US. Imagine a Deputy Buzz Officer (DBO) in each of those towns watching all of the public agency meetings and sharing that information?
The CBuzz Media Model has an estimated full buildout revenue for DBOs of $150,000/year which includes income from public agencies, sponsorships, and the business directory. That is 3 times what small town newspaper journalists get paid.
The CBuzz Franchise. DBO franchise fees of $50,000 with an ROI in one year. $50k times 20,000 DBOs … That is a 1 billion dollar national capitalization, and that is just for small towns. For larger cities the franchise fee would be more. And then there is international franchise income.
Stanford Graduate Business School: Four Tasks.
Build master website with aggregator. Build a technical/training portal. Build App. Train DBOs. Develop Support teams.
$100 million on a billion dollar capitalization. Invest in Stanford and national academic journalism. CBuzz Media will allow Stanford to energize journalism by accessing already created content and help fund journalism as it transitions to new technologies.
The 4-year Push to 2024 Election
Year One ~2021: “The Starting Gun”
- Leveraging Stanford graduate student work force, business, law, computing…
- Build Master website (content, calendar and business directory)
- Build aggregating technology for content and advertising
- Build Technology and Philosophy Support Portal
- Build App
- Develop Deputy Buzz Officer Training and franchise packages (base package, and value add-on packages such as Live Music Calendar, Bedtime Stories podcast, Create Citizen and Candidate Engagement and Training Programs for use by every jurisdiction, etc…)
- Train 12 DBO’s. 6 West coast, 2 East coast, 2 Midwest, 2 South
- DBO’s paid $50 to 100k (depending of geography) for first year. Graduate students may also be developed as DBOs, for “free”. These first DBOs will have to produce the content and review the website and portal experience for full launch in the second year. They get to keep their website, unless they re-franchise (sell/or pass on) in order to help at the national management expansion level
Year Two ~ 2022: “Nov. 2022 Mid-term Elections”
- Expand to 2,500 outlets
- Create National Public Agency Education Team
- Create National Aggregating Ad Team (vs Google AdSense)
- Sync to local election seasons (ramp up civic education)
Year Three ~ 2023: “The Race”
- Expand to national small town capacity of 20,000
- Gear up for second election cycle, and the national election in year four
Year Four ~ 2024: “The Presidential Election”
- Consolidate small town outlets, content and ad aggregation.
- Expand to cities
- Look to international
Stanford/CBuzz Media Going National ~ Best Partnerships
- Facebook and Instagram: streamline disclaimer process, DBO’s pay for ads.
- Google and YouTube have AdSense, CPC (cost per click), algorithm technologies and a CEO who wants to solve information problems. All public agency video content on Coastside Buzz, is linked to YouTube. (Susan Wojcicki; Hey, Let’s Go Buy YouTube!).
- BuzzFeed has no hyper-local feed. There is an opportunity for vertical integration.
- Local Government
Trusted Information Partners
Wikipedia, Snopes, Facebook, Twitter, NextDoor, Other Social Media Platforms, Local Radio (KHMB), Local newspapers, Cal Matters, etc..
Local to National Clubs/Organizations
Chambers, BNI, Rotary, Lions, Odd Fellows, Future Farmers, Makers, HAM radio, local Schools, churches, sports, history associations, Village of the Coastside (VOTC), CERT, CEAP, etc..
FREE Content also includes local events, businesses, live music, art, history, clubs, recreation, non-profits, disaster prep, podcasts, videos, photo-essays, citizen reporters and more.
CBuzz Media Tactical Roll-out
PHASE #1: Development Goals for CBuzz Media Master Website
- Articles, photo-essays, links, podcasts, video, citizen reporters
- No text interruptions with blinky video ads
- Only static ads embedded near top and at bottom, so text is not broken up
- No banner ad on home page; Content is king, let it sing without distraction
- Graphic for top header banner gets changed out using local artists and photographers. Free art for promotion and exposure. Builds audience.
- Create “Follow us!” tool
- Create “Subscribe to email” button
- Create side bar ad placements
- Add social media links
- Include local weather camera links
- NOT an aggregating calendar like City Spark
- All public agency meetings must be loaded and managed manually by the DBO and guest contributors
- Free and self-submit events builds content, audience and participation
- 24-hour DBO manual approval for self-submit calendar events
- Placement on a CBuzz Media directory will have better SEO and reach and a broader audience than someone’s small business website.
- Allows multimedia video, photos, podcasts and text to tell the full story of the business.
- Allows easy shares to social media and to the CBuzz aggregating feed.
Weekly Buzz Mail Design
- Currently on Mail Chimp; customize Weekly Buzz Mail.
Internet Best Practices
- Mobile friendly
- ADA compliant
PHASE #2: Development of CBuzz Media Training Portals (Technical and Philosophical)
- Language translation
- Social media platform distribution strategy
- ADA Compliance Team: Everything needs to be ADA compliant to reach an invisible 22% of US population.
- Advertising and content aggregation nationally
- Club Partners: Chamber, Odds, Rotary, Lions, History, Cert, School, etc.
- City Manager/City Communication Education and Outreach Team for contract outreach
- Public Utility Education and Outreach for fiber, garbage, water and sewer contracts
Philosophical Training ~ The Media Philosophy of No Bias Original Source Content
- Chief Buzz Officer (CBO) and Coastside Buzz set the example
How-To Training Titles:
- Philosophy ~ Starting with the first 12 DBOs, the culture of truth over ego must be embedded ~ The 21 (or so) “Buzzmandments”
- The Gutenberg Moment
- “Own Voice, Own Words” ~ Giving everyone a voice in their own words
- Bottom up content aggregation, NOT top down; avoids national hijack
- Never argue
- Ask questions
- Walk away nicely
- Fact checking
- Peer review
- Hard work and hustle
- Write it down / capture / schedule
- Network: Belong to every club and organization
- It is your business $$
- Ads versus promotion
- The Mechanics on How to Create and Manage Buzz
- Post and share
- Multimedia: articles, photos, graphics, podcasts, videos, animations, surveys
- Multi-platform: Website/Google, Facebook, Instagram, Weekly Buzz Mail
- Spreadsheets or project management tools to track content, ads.
PHASE #3: CBuzz Media Content and Ad Aggregators
Both content and ads can be shared between the DBO’s, nationally, as is relevant.
PHASE #4: CBuzz Media App Development
- Mobile friendly
- ADA Compliant
PHASE #5: Training/Development for 20k Deputy Buzz Officers (DBOs)
DBOs are true believers. The CBuzz Media philosophy drives the DBO mission per the Gutenberg Moment “Giving Everyone a Voice, In Their Own Words”; no ego, no edit, no bias. DBOs battle misinformation, disinformation and fake news, on the local level.
DBOs will be given access to a brand new website. Their website will be empty of all content. They will need to fill it up!
DBOs will also be given access to a portal. The portal will be divided into two parts.
- This first part is for 24/7/365 Technical Hive Support by chat, call or screen share.
- The second part is the The Center of CBuzz Media Philosophy and the “21 Buzzmandments”, delivered by video, podcast, chat, call or shared screen.
How to Manage Multi-media Content on Multiple Platforms
Website, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Weekly Buzz Mail, MBFG (My Big Fat Mouth ;-)
Website Structure ~ Content vs Promotion.
Content is our gold. It should not be trashed by unnecessary eye-grabbing ads. Consider that the age range Coastside Buzz is currently reaching is an audience from 18-70. However, promotions are also information, and worthy of some attention and management.
Website Key Elements.
Content Home page, Content feed, Calendar, Business Directory
Promotion: Internet and Gorilla Marketing.
- Internet. Facebook, Instagram, Google, YouTube, Twitter, Nextdoor, etc.
- Weekly Buzz Mail
- Local Gorilla marketing via transport and entertainment. ride, bike, hike, walk, bus and eat out.
- Analog. stickers! buttons, cards, flyers and apparel.
- QR code. reduce printing and urge green; code leads to dense, contextual info.
- In Person education. seniors, clubs and social groups for gentle internet education
- Other Media. AOL Patch, paper, every agency email and LOCAL social media influencers
- Shares. AOL Patch, SMCo Journal, SF Chronical, SJ Mercury, NY Time, NPR, Washington Post, WSJ,
- “Bonding” by participating with public agencies, local clubs and organizations.
- Implement Citizen to Candidate year round coaching program
PHASE # 6: CBuzz Media Development and Support Teams
- Public Agency Staff and Board Outreach and Education
- Implement Citizen to Candidate year round coaching program
- DBO Franchise Package, Contract and Sales
- Additional Franchise Package Products
- Citizen Civics and Local Candidate Year-round Zoom Academy
- Live Music Calendar One-Stop pdf
- Local Live Camera Feeds
- Bedtime Stories (Learn to read for free 24/7/365!)
- Death Prep 101 (Live to Die ~ The BirthDay-DeathDay Planning Process)
- Content Sharing Partnerships Team
- Local Government
- Facebook/Instagram etc.
- Google and YouTube
- Trusted Information Partners. Wikipedia, Snopes, Facebook, Twitter, Nextdoor, Other Social Media Platforms, Local Radio (KHMB), Local newspapers, Cal Matters
- Local to National CLUBS/Organizations. Chambers, BNI, Rotary, Lions, Odd Fellows, Future Farmers, Makers, HAM radio, local Schools, churches, sports, history associations, Village of the Coastside (VOTC), CERT, CEAP, live music, entertainment, outdoors, etc…
- Develop at-Scale Partnerships Outreach
- Media Production (national): Animation, Graphics, Video, Photography
- Apple Equipment/Tools inclusion partnership for Mac Pro 27” and latest iPhone
- Stickers, banners, yard signs, promotion materials, etc.
- Apparel. Organic, local, green, etc.
- ADA compliance awareness
- Buzz Buzz Whiz Bang Ideas (R&D)
- Investigative Reports Division
- Partner with trusted information partners
- Subject Matter Experts
- Epidemiologists, doctors, infrastructure, public agency
How Might the Stanford/CBuzz Media Partnership Work?
CBuzz Media has created a new media model that empowers grass root social media producers to eradicate misinformation, disinformation and fake news. This greatly enables better informed, engaged and connected communities.
CBuzz Media needs to go national as soon as possible to battle misinformation and disinformation using original source content in the 2022-2024 elections. The goal is to give citizens a trusted space to be able to Click, Learn, Think, Act, Vote and become civically accountable in their locality.
Why Stanford to Help Solve the Media Problem?
By partnering with CBuzz Media, Stanford can make a positive imprint on America’s 20,000 small towns. Partnering with CBuzz Media will allow Stanford to promote its brand and have greater access to recruiting in small, lower economic and diverse communities. The current challenges with misinformation and large tech social media policies, creates a challenge for our national discourse. The Stanford/CBuzz partnership will create an opportunity for Stanford to assist the national discourse by getting people to Click, Learn, Think, Act, Vote, encouraging civic responsibility and accountability for every citizen.
The reduction of misinformation and disinformation is the number one goal for CBuzz Media. CBuzz Media is a new media model because it shares content from the bottom up. Most current media models share information from the top down. Local elections will educate citizens from the bottom up. Good communication habits will trickle up with citizens expecting the same accountability at the State and National levels of politics.
For Stanford, this is an opportunity to bring equity to the world of media; to do nothing less than to make the world more equitable.
Why Should Stanford Partner with CBuzz Media for the Solution?
Coastside Buzz is the model on which CBuzz Media is based. It was designed to reach Coastside (around Half Moon Bay) citizens using the internet.
The CBuzz model creates a breadth and depth of local, original source content that reaches 3,500 Coastside citizens every week. Creating 30-40 posts on three different platforms, each week, equals 122k impressions. Yearly, that is 6.3 million impressions, in a small community of 24,000. 20,000 Deputy Buzz Officers will create 14 billion impressions, yearly. That is a lot of original source content to dilute misinformation.
Additionally, website SEO reach ranges from 15k-40k, on average, to a best metric of 250k reach for a post on N95 masks.
The local paper reaches 2,300 with one paper a week, plus a lifestyle magazine one a month. CBuzz Media’s overhead is a fraction of the newspaper’s, needing only a phone and a computer. It is important to note that we compliment each other, rather than compete.
The City has narrow content and half the posts per week compared to Coastside Buzz, and 1/6th of the followers on social media. In fact, they pay Coastside Buzz to increase their distribution, as do the local water and sewer authorities.
This is why CBuzz Media can help public agencies, and citizens themselves, to get their message out, and across, by creating better distribution and access to original source content.
The FCC 230 rule is a good one as it rests the responsibility on the citizen to find good sources of information. This is the next big fight that our young republic faces.
By creating and branding the CBuzz Media network as a reliable source of content, people will have an on-ramp to Click, Learn, Think, Act, Vote with true meaning.
Another reason for Stanford to sponsor CBuzz Media, would be to avoid a single owner and the stock market.
Stanford’s Reputation for Innovation, Then and Now
Leland Stanford had a history of giving. After losing his own law library in a fire, he founded the Sacramento Public Library in the 1850s. Leland Stanford Junior University was founded in 1885 by Leland and Jane Stanford in memory of their only child, Leland Stanford Jr., who had died of typhoid fever at age 15, the previous year.
Stanford was run by Jane, and was founded as a coeducational and non-denominational institution. Following World War II, provost Frederick Terman supported faculty and graduates’ entrepreneurialism to build self-sufficient local industry in what would later be known as Silicon Valley.
Today, Stanford is one of the most successful universities in attracting funding for start-ups, which is why partnering with CBuzz Media will elevate both of our missions.
Stanford and CBuzz Media Partnership Tactical Snapshot
The Stanford Graduate Business School would be CBuzz Media’s Primary Partner. The relationship would work as a loose hub, like Visa Corp., where different schools and departments can interface and coordinate with the main mission of developing the infrastructure for 20,000 DBOs nationwide.
The Stanford/CBuzz brand can start when kids are learning to read with the Bedtime Stories podcast. Teachers, nationwide, would also have a free Stanford-developed tool with which to teach civic involvement, at every grade level. As young people “graduate” into the world they will better understand how things work locally, and globally. Also, 20,000 small city agencies will have Stanford tools to educate their adult populations on how to become civically involved. Locally, every board member and staff person appreciates what Coastside Buzz does to stamp out misinformation, reducing the time spent on gossip.
Stanford as Content Creator and Educator
The CBuzz Media model will expand Stanford’s brand as an elite university to an “EveryBody’s University”.
All Stanford departments are original source content creators. Click, Learn, Think, Act, Votes starts with trusted content.
Examples of how shared Stanford original source information can be distributed to 20,000 small towns:
Imagine 20,000 Deputy Buzz Officers (DBOs) sharing this type of high quality original content to their feeds?
The Stanford brand will create an egalitarian path, for a massive segment of our population, to have access to reliable knowledge.